Elks-Wyandot Country Club - a lost Donald Ross course in Columbus, Ohio

December 23, 2013 4:53 PM | William Case

Fellow  members:  I am  writing  the  story about  what  was  a  great  Donald  Ross  course  located  just  outside  of  Columbus, Ohio  (Worthington)  that  disappeared  in  1952.  The  Elks  Country Club  was  designed  by  Ross  in  1922  and  opened  the  next  year.   The  great Denny  Shute  was  a member.  After  a  devastating  fire,  the  club  was  reorganized  and  operated  under  the   name  of  Wyandot  Country  Club. The course was  good  enough  to  host  the  1931  Ohio Amateur  and  a  PGA  tour  stop in 1948 (The Columbus  

Invitational  won by Lloyd Mangrum). The story  of  the  course's  closing  features  a  surprising amount  of  political  intrigue.  The title  of the story   is "Elks-Wyandot's Long  Goodbye- The Saga of a Lost  Donald Ross Classic."  I  have published  on  line  the  first two  installments (I anticipate 12 in all).  You can read  these  at  www.billlisassportinglife.com    If you want  me  to put you on the mailing list for future installments,  e-mail me at 

bill.case@thompsonhine.com

Comments

• December 24, 2013 8:24 AM | John Stiles (Administrator)
    Recommend everyone read this account of a lost course.

Very well written and enjoyable.
    Link  •  Reply