Lynhurst Golf Course

July 03, 2017 5:25 PM | Brian Kerns

I was recently speaking with a gentleman who grew up in Lyndurst Ohio playing a course that was known as "Lyndhurst" Golf Club or "Lyndhurst Golf Course"  which was a 'short course'. He believed the course was designed or made by Donald Ross  or one of his associates while he was in town to do nearby Manakiki, Acacia Country Club or Shaker Heights CC.    I mentioned I was a DRS member, but had no idea about Lyndhurst GC.  That course was plowed under several years ago and is now covered by a strip mall.  

Does anyone know the history of that course and/or whether it has any Ross connection?  Please email me at brian@kernslawoffices.com

Comments

• August 04, 2017 9:00 AM | John Stiles (Administrator)
    There are several important sources of information when reviewing club history for a potential Ross involvement in my opinion. Assuming club records do not exist, the records at Tufts Archives in Pinehurst should be reviewed. Also a check of local newspaper records would be excellent. Usually when a new course was being built, especially before 1950, the local owner/developer/members always sought newspaper coverage. Newspapers are a tremendous resource. Local libraries and universities often have microfilm records of old newspapers. If you are really lucky, those newspaper records have been digitized and can be easily searched.
    Link  •  Reply